Orange tree

 

Fotografia de Annie Spratt


A ginkgo leaf like a splayed ass


A begonia leaf is a pebbled surface 

          green and burgundy


A long and narrow leaf curls down


All the different methods 

          of extending yourself so the sun 

          might better touch you


Serrated edges of the teardrop 

          nettle leaves


sting your fingers


The nursery labels everything 

          and so assigns appearances 

          to names I only know from fiction


Old novels set in houses with gardens 

          where the lovers meet 

          or someone paces, thinking


Jonquil and clematis


Omniscient narrator 

          conceived by a dead person


From the limb of a sapling in a silver tub 

          the photo of a future flower 

          dangles by a plastic noose


Years ago, you biked home 

          with a leaf tucked under your helmet 

          and taped it by its stem up on the door


 


I try to force my soul up to the surface of my skin


I try to send my mind into my mouth, into my hand 

          to touch you with


I repeat


in my head the sentences 

          I love you I love you more than anyone 

          ever can and suck your cock repeating them


 


You stood in the bathroom 

          testing faces in the mirror 

          while I lay in the next room 

          pretending to read


You could make soap balance on a round ledge


The ragged flesh along your thumbs 

          where you bite the skin off 

          watching television


Stop, it hurts me when you do that


How can it hurt you


 


On your knees, preparing surfaces


stapling canvas over stretchers 

          laying ground over the canvas


You pour paint on wet gesso so the stain 

          spreads slowly on its own 

          and we can go get coffee


Trying to get down under the immortal dailiness 

          and touch the myth beneath the fiction


 


We stayed one night 

          with a couple I knew


At dinner, the wife ate rice with us 

          and the husband ate what looked like rice 

          but was in fact minced cauliflower


She set the bed up in the living room


We’d go before they woke


We fucked very quietly in the gray light


Your fingers in my mouth 

          and my body pressed against 

          the firm hollow of the air mattress 

          we knelt on to deflate


When the hissing stopped, we folded it


We stacked the pillows and the sheets


We did everything you do to leave

Margaret Ross



Comentários

Mensagens populares