“swan”

Gif Olho de Gato



i)

the lake is calm tonight

the moon has dropped white feathers on the water

 

tonight      the lake is calm

the wavelets lap like rustling wings

 

the lake      tonight      is calm

but look who is coming in to land

 

to tear the peace asunder

 

ii)

my first time in water

I was unnaturally good      heavier somehow

so much power inside me

arms forcing the water away

like prising someone’s mouth apart

to take out what’s inside

 

only ever more water that comes through

 

iii)

then the year everything was swan

 

feathers on my pillow      on the floor
wet prints in the hallway where I’d walked
men in white coats      little pellets in their hands
the shadow of my back      curved against the wall

 

iv)

the black swan of debt

the black swan of my own body      of my mum

the black swan of sex

the black swan of the house      of the wall      the loft      the damp

the black swan of rain

the black swan of the dog

the black swan of weddings

the black swan of the neighbours      of him

 

each one fury-footed in my stomach

 

v)

then the year everything was darkness

the red beak of my longing

 

the wedge of men in flight from club to club

banked in at every bar

loneliness      as though I’m dying of thirst

I think the men must be where water is

I always go face-first to drink

 

vi) queen

 

a swan of sixpence

a brokenhearted guy

four and twenty whoopers

kept locked up inside

when the door was opened

the swans began to hiss

what is the solution

for such a man as this?

your dad is in the living room

saying things are wrong

your mum is napping fitfully

all her strength is gone

your mind is in the puddle now

soaking up the rain

they’re coming now to peck at it

your damp and ruined brain

 

vii)

mother                     don’t eat me

mother                     I’m trying so hard to get better

I’m sorry I’m a queer

remember how small I was mother

newly hatched cygnet      like a cloud fallen down on the water

now it’s only rain mother      so much of it

hitting the lake      bringing it to the boil

 

viii)

I plucked each feather from myself

slight resistance and then a rising out

like pulling up a weed      when I was bald

I beheld myself in the mirror of the water’s edge

my neck looked ridiculous

my eyes the only part of me that still had life

I raised each failed wing      just flesh now

nothing for the wind to get up under

the mirror cracked with the tides

I reared up      I jumped      I watched myself

broken      fall towards myself

Andrew McMillan


Comentários

Mensagens populares