Alberto Caeiro em "estrangeiro": The night is very dark / A noite é muito escura

 

Fotografia de Wolf Zimmermann 


It’s night. The night is very dark. In a house a long way off 

Shines the light from a window.

I see it, and I feel human from head to toe.

It’s odd that the whole life of the person who lives there, and who I don’t know,

Draws me in simply because of that distant light.

His life is doubtless real, and he has a face, gestures, family, and profession.


Now, though, all that matters to me is the light in his window. 

Despite it only being there because he lit that light,

The light is the reality there before me. 

And I never go beyond immediate reality.

Beyond immediate reality there is nothing. 

If, from where I stand, I see only that light,

From my distant perspective there is only that light. 

The man and his family are real on the other side of that window.

I am on this side, a long way away. 

The light goes out.

What does it matter to me if the man continues to exist?

It’s just him continuing to exist.

Alberto Caeiro 

Translated by Margaret Jull Costa 

and Patricio Ferrari


É noite. A noite é muito escura. Numa casa a uma grande distância

Brilha a luz duma janela.

Vejo-a, e sinto-me humano dos pés à cabeça.

É curioso que toda a vida do indivíduo que ali mora, e que não sei quem é,

Atrai-me só por essa luz vista de longe.

Sem dúvida que a vida dele é real e ele tem cara, gestos, família e profissão.


Mas agora só me importa a luz da janela dele.

Apesar de a luz estar ali por ele a ter acendido,

A luz é a realidade imediata para mim.

Eu nunca passo para além da realidade imediata.

Para além da realidade imediata não há nada.

Se eu, de onde estou, só vejo aquela luz,

Em relação à distância onde estou há só aquela luz.

O homem e a família dele são reais do lado de lá da janela.

Eu estou do lado de cá, a uma grande distância.

A luz apagou-se.

Que me importa que o homem continue a existir?

Alberto Caeiro



Comentários

Mensagens populares