What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why

Imagem de J. Crew Pucker,
inspirado em Andy Warhol


What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why,
I have forgotten, and what arms have lain
Under my head till morning; but the rain
Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh
Upon the glass and listen for reply,
And in my heart there stirs a quiet pain
For unremembered lads that not again
Will turn to me at midnight with a cry.
Thus in winter stands the lonely tree,
Nor knows what birds have vanished one by one,
Yet knows its boughs more silent than before:
I cannot say what loves have come and gone,
I only know that summer sang in me
A little while, that in me sings no more.
Edna St. Vincent Millay


Que lábios os meus lábios já beijaram,
Onde e porquê, esqueci, como em que braços
Até pela manhã tive a cabeça;
Mas esta noite a chuva traz espectros

Que batem na vidraça, à escuta, à espera;
E uma saudade calma há no meu peito,
De jovens que não lembro e nunca mais,
Noite alta, me desejam num soluço.

Qual árvore isolada, assim, no Inverno
Não sabe de aves idas uma a uma
E só seus ramos sabe mais silentes,

Não sei que amores vieram e partiram:
Apenas sei que o Verão em mim cantou
Um breve tempo, e já não canta mais.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Tradução de Jorge de Sena


Comentários

Mensagens populares